Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Poison Study – Maria V. Snyder

Choose: A quick death or slow poison ...

On the eve of her execution for murder, Yelena Zaltana is offered an incredible reprieve - on the condition that she becomes the food taster for the military leader of Ixia, Commander Ambrose.

Avoiding poison is the least of her troubles, however ... General Brazell, father of the man she killed, has vowed bloody revenge; she's beginning to have feelings for her captor, Valek; and someone is plotting the downfall of the current regime.

In a desperate race against time, Yelena must learn to control the growing magical talent withinn her and master the demons of her past. The Commander's life, the future of Ixia and all those she loves depend on it


Review
I was so excited when i picked this up from the works at about £2, i had heard great things about this book and the book blogging community was obsessed, i had to join the hype. However, i spied this review by the lovely Clare and became more weary as i have similiar bookish tastes to her and knew this maybe wouldnt work for me. So intro aside, the book focuses on Yelena a woman who is due to be executed but offered the chance to live if she becomes a poison taster for the king, of course she jumps at the chance and thats kind of where it ended the excitment for me. We then follow on Yelenas daily journey of been a food taster.
But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart
This was a slow book i was about 200 pages in and nothing much had happened i couldn't tell you what had been going on for the amount of time, now i know the author was setting up the world we was in, the daily goings on that came to relevance later in the story. I also found that sometimes we would be introduced to things and then seemingly forgotten about only to be brought back to it later on, and it confused me slightly. The only other thing that didnt work for me, was as we got further into the book, the more the fantasy genre came out and for me, its not a genre i get on with and this seemed the same. Once i finished the book i did enjoy the ending but i wont find myself contiuning onto the second because by then Fantasy will be in full swing. 
I did enjoy aspects of this book though, i liked Yelena as a character and the friends she made along the way, she was strong independent and was a great MC. I liked some of the underlying stories that were placed on the back seat, for example the love story flowing throughout was what kept me gripped all along. This book didnt work too well for me, but i know plenty others who love it. I am a little bit sad about this.

Rating
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment