Tuesday, 8 April 2014

The Replacement by Rachael Wade Review

*Contains sexually explicit content and mature subject matter, including language and elements of abuse.*

A gritty New Adult drama about a young woman’s self-destructive quest to find purpose, self-worth, and love in a broken world.

My name is Elise Duchamp. I’m twenty-three years old and I’m known as the town whore.

No, not the kind who exchanges sexual favors for money. The other kind. The kind who gives it all away for free, whenever and however she likes. I am that girl. The one everyone whispers about and the one none of the girls seem to like, because all of their boyfriends either want to sleep with me or already have. Promiscuity is my thing—the kind that slowly, violently turns my insides black, but gives me something I need.

All things considered, I’m not completely reckless. I’m safe, and contrary to popular opinion, I do have a heart. I live in a world of careless choices, and with those choices come careless people. I cannot judge them, because I am one of them. I too bow down to the altar of the self-serving. I am not a good friend. I am not and never could be anyone’s girlfriend. I’m convinced any goodness in me shriveled up and died long ago.

But I am a replacement. That is something I know how to be, and this is a story of the lengths I’d go to in order to keep it that way.


Review
So, this book was doing the rounds when it came out, the whole world and his wife was on the blog tour and when i spied it on amazon for a reasonable price, i one clicked. So, the story follows Elise, who has a bit of a name for herself for been the other woman, a bit of a wrecker, she feels that is all she is destined to be. How she doesnt want the serious commitment a relationship brings as she isnt made for that, this is her story. It's almost like Elise cant help herslf for her behaviour. In the day time we see the (almost) friendly Elise at work at the diner working towards her one goal in life, to visit Paris. We meet the numerous men she has encounters with, why she does, what they are like ect.
We all have a past, Elise. Sometimes we don't like where the road takes us; sometimes it leads us exactly where we need to be
This is a beautifully written book, with a fantastic soundtrack to match, its dark and gritty but in parts its to entrancing i felt myself drawn into the writing. I felt my heart break several times, and right until the end i really didn't know how Elise' life would pan out for her. It felt sad, honest and open and for the first book i have read by Rachel Wade, i was beyond impressed, the book tour hype certainly did it good because i knew i had to read it, im telling you lot too - go read it. You can buy it here

Rating
4/5

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This book surprised me when I read it. I had an ARC for one of this author's earlier works and I ended up DNFing it because I just couldn't connect with her writing or the characters. I didn't even realize this was written by the same author until after I'd signed up for the tour. But I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed The Replacement!

    ReplyDelete