Tuesday, 3 February 2015

♥ The Little Shop Of Hopes & Dreams || Review ♥

Nicole Harrison is planning the proposal of the century. Too bad its not her own…
Nicole, a born organiser and true romantic, has created her dream job when she sets up the Hopes & Dreams proposal agency – staging YouTube worthy proposals…until she’s hired to plan a proposal by gorgeous photographer Alex Black’s girlfriend.

Alex is the New Year’s kiss that Nicole hasn’t been able to forget – and now she’s planning his wedding to someone else! But if she lets herself fall for Alex’s charms, her reputation and business will be ruined before it’s even got off the ground! Suddenly the girl whose always prepared is at a loss…and falling head over heels.


Firstly a huge thanks to those over at Mills & Boon/MIRA ect for sending me this book last year, and i'll be honest it has sat for a while before i even looked at - where i was intially beyond excited for it. I started it several times, and it wasn't for me at that time. I recently sat down with a large cup of tea, and found myself tumbling into the world of proposal planning.

Nicole has worked in the planning industry for some time when she decides there is a whole in the market for proposal planning, because before a wedding has to come a proposal? & now the world wants bigger and better. Getting her foot into the industry is proving a little bit harder than she expected, so when a well known socialite comes to her to ask for help in proposing to her boyfriend, Nicole is more than happy - because imagine the publicity it would bring to her little business.

Alex, is the one that she never called, the one she had that magical new years kiss with and then never really moved on from. As Nicole is out to bump into her new clients boyfriend, she bumps into Alex, to only discover he is the one, the one she is planning a proposal for. In Nicoles line of work, secrecy is key, as she starts spending more time with him under false prentenses, it gets harder and harder to let him go, but with her job in the line, everything is thrown into turmoil.

Fiona Harper has created a wonderful dose of chick lit, that was light hearted, sweet but gripping non the less. The narrative flowed smoothly allowing us to learn about the characters to give them substance. The world is created allowing us glimpses into the glamorous and not so much. Nicole is a wonderful character, she is full of flaws and makes it easy for the reader to feel for her from the get go, as well  - its not like she has had a lot of luck. Alex is nice, and sexy, not in the erotica billionaire bad boy way, but the perfect in chick lit sexy kind of way (as there is a huge difference and i am a fan of both!)

 This has been a perfect read over the colder evenings and a nice way to wind down, it was easy reading and endearing, with all the mentions of the winter weather as well. I would whole heartidly recommend this and i will be looking what else Fiona has done because i can see her work been some that i would always enjoy.

 








As a child, I was constantly told off for two things: having my nose in a book and living in a dream world.  Things haven't changed much since then, but at least in writing I've found a use for my runaway imagination.
I started writing fiction in 2004 after finding a few scribbled scenes I had written more than a decade ago. I had expected to cringe as I read it, but instead I was pleasantly surprised.  A short while later I had an idea for a story, and since my youngest had just started pre-school and I was desperate to do something creative beyond making happy faces with the kids' dinner ingredients, I decided to unearth a long-buried passion and try to write a novel. I quickly became totally addicted.
I joined the RNA in 2005 and submitted my first polished and completed manuscript to their New Writers' Scheme and nervously awaited the verdict. Much to my delight, they liked it and decided to send it on to Mills & Boon, and by November 2005 I had sold my first book. 
Since then, things have been going rather well. In 2006 I received the RNA's Joan Hessayan New Writers' Award for my first book, Blind-Date Marriage, which was also nominated in two categories, Best First Book and Best Traditional Romance for the presitgious RITA award in 2007.  See here for details of further awards.
I've now completed 17 novels for Harlequin/Mills & Boon and my books have been translated into 24 languages and sold in 30 different countries across the world! Ssh... I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but my favourite foreign editions are the Japanese manga books!
I still live in London, but my other favourite places to be are the highlands of Scotland and the English countryside on a summer's afternoon.  I love cooking, good food and anything cinnamon-flavoured.  Of course, I still can't keep away from a good book, or a good movie—especially romances—but only if I'm stocked up with tissues, because I know I'll need them before the end, whether it's happy or sad.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a cute and fun read! The whole plot with the proposal planner who is in love with the one she's planning a proposal for sounds interesting and like one those things that only happen in books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so adorable. I should check this out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete