Wednesday, 25 March 2015

♥ The Night Falling - Katherine Webb || Guest Post ♥

The international bestselling author of THE LEGACY returns with a searing new novel of secrets and feuds, set in 1920s Italy.
Puglia, Italy, 1921.

Leandro returns home now a rich man with a glamorous American wife, determined to make his mark. But how did he get so wealthy - and what haunts his outwardly exuberant wife?

Boyd, quiet English architect, is hired to build Leandro's dreams. But why is he so afraid of Leandro, and what really happened between them years before, in New York?

Clare, Boyd's diffident wife, is summoned to Puglia with her stepson. At first desperate to leave, she soon finds a compelling reason to stay.

Ettore, starving, poor and grieving for his lost fianc?e, is too proud to ask his Uncle Leandro for help. Until events conspire to force his hand.

Tensions are high as poverty leads veterans of the Great War to the brink of rebellion. And under the burning sky, a reckless love and a violent enmity will bring brutal truths to light...

 
My Writing Day

It’s true that the first few pages of a book are the hardest to write – but for me, it’s not for the reason you might think. I never have any trouble thinking up the first line of a new book, or even the first chapter. But I do know that as soon as I start, they’ll be no stopping – no pausing for breath – until it’s finished. So I tend to put the moment off, and remain in the far more relaxed research/thinking stage just a little longer… That intensity just seems to be the way I work, and there’s no changing it. I write quickly – I average about 10,000 words week, sometimes more – and until that first draft is done the rest of life gets rather forgotten about!
I try to keep to standard office hours, but I’m not much of a morning person so I’m not usually at my desk until about half nine. I can’t work with clutter, so my desk is very tidy and I deal with any paperwork, bills etc before I start. I try to write at least 2000 words every time I sit down to it, but that does vary. Last week I wrote 5100 words one day and then couldn’t write a single sentence the next day! Sometimes I’ve done 2000 words by lunch time, and spend the afternoon catching up on research or doing other bits of writing – articles, short stories. Sometimes the 2000 words take almost all day – many, many hours are spent staring out of the window on days like that! They usually come around the middle of the book – I often hit a kind of wall, when the finish still seems horribly far away, and everything I’ve written to that point seems awful. Thankfully, it passes!
I have zero willpower with food, and since my desk is about five paces from the kitchen I don’t have any crisps or biscuits or snacky food in the house. I drink a steady stream of tea but I try not to have too much caffeine, so I drink green tea, or ginger or mint. When I’ve finished writing for the day I do some exercise – I love Jillian Michaels’ circuit training DVDs – and then collapse. Once the book is written, I come back out into the world feeling a bit like I’ve been on another planet for four months or so. It’s a good feeling – and it’s great to then catch up properly with my friends and family.







I was born in Kent in 1977 and grew up in rural Hampshire before reading History at Durham University. History remains a passion, and I write character-led mystery dramas, often with historical settings. I love to explore the way past events can reverberate in the present, and I'm fascinated by the vast grey areas in human morality and behaviour.

My debut novel 'The Legacy' was voted viewers' choice for Best Summer Read on the Channel 4 TV Book Club in 2010, and was nominated for Best New Writer at the National Book Awards in the same year. Subsequently, 'The Unseen','A Half Forgotten Song' and 'The Misbegotten' were all Sunday Times Top Ten bestsellers, and my books have been translated into 24 languages around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment