Sunday 17 February 2019

One Dark Night - Tom Bale || Netgalley Review

He see his wife’s eyes watching him in the rear-view mirror, the kids up on their knees to get a better look.

That’s when he hears the scream… You’re driving home from a family outing one afternoon, when a speeding car cuts you up, nearly causing you to crash. Like anyone would, you pull over to confront the driver. But a glance into the backseat of the speeding car reveals a woman fighting to escape

 She is terrified and she’s screaming for your help: these men have murdered her husband…

 What would you do?


Review

I've read Tom Bale before without realising I had when I got this book. I wasn't sure what to expect and it has sat on my kindle for a good long while and I picked it up at random the other day when I wasn't sure what to read next.


It is a normal day and Adam and his family are driving along on the way home from a day out when a bad driver in a hurry cuts them up throwing stones up and smashing their front light. Adam, slightly infuriated by the driver follows them and flashes them to they pull over. When Adam gets out the car, what started as a simple case of slight road rage escalates into a hostage situation.

The only way to describe this book for me was ridiculous, and now I am not saying that in a bad way but in a sort of wow what on earth is happening kind of way. The pacing is so fast that before you know it you are half way through wondering how you got there. The situations go from zero to what is actually happening right now at a hundred miles an hour.

I found Adam slightly irritating as a character, I mean his traits frustrated me, I know he meant well for his family but at times I just wanted to shake him, I mean if he had kept his cool they wouldn't of even been in that situation (I mean but then I would just be reading about a family day out so … ) I found the rest more tolerable, at times again they frustrated me but I know they all had their reasoning's for acting as they did.

I was discussing this book today, and I was literally saying I cannot decide what I think, I think for the most part I enjoyed it, and I cannot fault the fact it kept me gripped as a reader, I mean I was up late and waking early hours and I was determined to finish it. I think it was good, and it was totally unexpected how it made me feel. I think if you are after a fast paced thrilling read this ticks all the boxes, I feel like if this was a film or tv show you would leave with brain ache because you have been so focused the whole time.

I would certainly read more Tom Bale and seen as he already has a fair few books out I plan on picking some up.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top