Friday 20 April 2018

Rosie's Little Cafe On The Riviera - Jennifer Bohnet || Netgalley Review

Escape to the French coast this summer with Jennifer Bohnet’s deliciously uplifting read.

 A summer of taking chances! 

Rosie Hewitt’s dream of opening a little French café on the Riviera is finally coming true. She’s giving up on love and instead chasing her own perfect recipe for happiness…

Only, she never expected the oh-so-sexy, award-winning chef, Sebastian Groc, to set up a rival restaurant next door – or for his freshly-baked croissants to smell quite so delicious. But with just a few days until she opens her doors and all her sugar-coated dreams crumbling around her, Rosie isn’t prepared to give up without a fight!

Perfect for fans of Debbie Johnson, Ellen Berry and Caroline Roberts.



Review

I have had this one for some time, but I never got to it. It ticks all the right boxes for me, beachside, start up cafe, sweet romance so I cant believe it has taken nearly a year to read and review this. That aside, i have now read it. So on with the review. 

Rosie decided it is never too late to follow your dream and whilst a few doors have closed recently she is creating her own future and following her dream to open a little French cafe on the Riviera. I mean she doesn't need love when she can create her own happy ending. Throw in an award-winning chef who happens to be working next door and tensions are going to fly. 

Aside from meeting Rosie, we meet a few other locals along the way battling their own challenges who happen to stop by the cafe for a coffee or two. First, we meet "GeeGee" who is living commission to commission and waiting for an update on her living arrangements. Life isnt has been all too kind to her. 

Lastly, we meet Erica who is adjusting to her life as a single mum to her little girl Cammie and whilst her finances are all in order with her husband's insurance money and her own business. Its the day to day challenges she is facing as she tries to move forward alone. 

Rosie's cafe offers solace and a meeting point for a lot of the characters and the narrative often revolves around the day to day of it. I found this was a sweet light summer read. Nothing was too heavy and the few issues faced by Rosie didn't seem all too serious because I think the characters supported her through it making it all less daunting.

I liked this read and it was nice to spend time with a wider range of characters however sometimes I feel like it was a bit too fast-paced for me, and things seemed to be resolved easily. I felt the pace moved too quickly for the narrative sometimes but other times it worked well. I know there was a fair few characters that we needed to spend time with, maybe a slower pace and more time with each would have helped me enjoy it that little more?

That being said, it wasn't a bad book at all - in fact, it was really good, it was what I was seeking, I just had them few slight issues. It wouldn't deter me from reading more from the author either. So if you want something not too heavy set in a beautiful place with a friendly bunch of characters - this could be the one for you. Its a 3/5 from me. 
Get It here


Author Info

Sixteen years ago Richard and I, with our then dog, 14 year old Holly in a trailer attached to Richard's bike, cycled down through western France via the canal paths, arriving in Antibes in July. With the exception of two fleeting visits back to the UK we have lived in France ever since.

For the past five years we have lived in a small cottage in central Brittany with one large collie dog called Viking, one fat cat known as Little’un and a young tortoiseshell cat called Missy. Oh, and there are various ducks and chickens in the garden, and a large pond with about a hundred fish in!

I have contributed short stories and serials to many of the UK women's magazines including, The People's Friend, Candis, My Weekly, Best, Yours and my stories have been published in Australia, Sweden, South Africa and Ireland.

I also write magazine features and my work has been published in national magazines and newspapers like, The Sunday Times, The Sunday Telegraph, Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, Home and Country, Devon Life. For over three years I had my own newspaper column in the South Hams Group of Newspapers, that took a wry look at family life.

I am a member of the Romantic Novelists' Association and the Society of Authors.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top