Tuesday 3 April 2018

The Mistake - K.L Slater || Netgalley Review

You think you know the truth about the people you love. But one discovery can change everything…

 Eight-year-old Billy goes missing one day, out flying his kite with his sister Rose. Two days later, he is found dead.

 Sixteen years on, Rose still blames herself for Billy’s death. How could she have failed to protect her little brother? Rose has never fully recovered from the trauma, and one of the few people she trusts is her neighbour Ronnie, who she has known all her life.

But one day Ronnie falls ill, and Rose goes next door to help him… and what she finds in his attic room turns her world upside down. Rose thought she knew the truth about what happened to Billy.

She thought she knew her neighbour. Now the only thing she knows is that she is in danger…



Review


This book has been sat for some time on my kindle, and I swore I had read it but I think it was a read I started several times before settling down into it. Anyway, I did start it again and after a quick read over the synopsis, I realised i hadn't in fact read it.

Rose has never really recovered from the shock of her brother going missing and then been found dead two days later, it has changed her whole life - the whole way she lives is influenced by her time as a teenager. 

Rose pretty much has been alone but that's okay - because she looks put for her neighbor Ronnie but when he has a fall and his last message to her is to not go upstairs her whole world changes, and the neighbor she thought she knew might no longer be.

The Mistake is told in two time tenses. Rose as a teenager, getting her first boyfriend, her time with her best friend and tension of day to day family life. We also see Rose in the present tense in terms of how it has changed her. 

This was unsettling, creepy and really well paced. I felt the tension and frustration build. Tension as the narrative built and frustration for Rose that she couldn't see what the reader could. This was a real hook you in read, yes there was a twist - one I didn't see coming but I feel like there was so much going on in the background I would have never caught it anyway. 

I do sometimes worry when a read states a twist is coming because I think feel like I sometimes spend the time trying to guess what is actually going to happen. However, like I said with this one, I was so invested in everything else that was happening, i kind of forgot.

A fantastic read that was so unsettling that I certainly spent a lot of it in a mild state of panic and that for me, was what made it brilliant. I hope this review hasn't given too much away as i went into it fairly blind and i think that helped it out.

Would easily recommend 4/5


Author Info

After years of trying to get published and never getting further than the slush pile, I went back to university at the age of 40 where I studied for an English & Creative Writing degree followed by an MA in Creative Writing.

Although I also worked full-time during the five years I studied at university, the courses gave me the time and space to try different writing and increased my confidence and belief in my writing. Before I graduated from my MA, I had secured representation with my agent, Clare Wallace, at the Darley Anderson Literacy, TV and Film Agency and had my first book deal.

My first adult psychological thriller for Bookouture is called ‘Safe with Me’ and it actually started life as my dissertation on my English & Creative Writing degree.

The creepy voice of Anna came to me strong and insistent . . . she wanted to be written, she wouldn’t go away. 

I live in Nottingham with my husband, Mac. Between us we have three grown-up kids; my daughter, Francesca and Mac’s sons Nathan and Jake.

I also write multi-award winning YA fiction under the name Kim Slater.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top